Living in California for a little over four years gives you a certain perspective. Expect to drive 20 minutes to go 3 miles. Yes, the freeway is always like that. Don’t worry, that road construction is almost done, it’s only been 2 years. Will there be parking? Probably not, expect to walk 17 blocks away from your destination and pay $25 to park half the day. California has its issues, don’t get me wrong. But there’s something about just sitting on the sand and listening to the waves hit the earth. The sun setting right on the water is the most beautiful sight. Once you smell the sea water + feel the sand in your toes, all the stress in your life somewhat washes away with the waves. Although I am an Arizona girl at heart, California is a beautiful state to call home for a little while longer.
For living here for as long as I have, I don’t take advantage of the beach as much as I should. I do try to go as often as I can, but life somehow gets in the way of things at times (everyone is pretty familiar with that). But I always enjoy a trip down to the beach with friends or even by myself to clear my mind. Here’s a list of my top 3 favorite beaches in Southern California.
- Location—Small coastal city in Orange County
- Amenities—Popular surf spot, basketball court, volleyball courts, hotels
- Food + Shops—Many upscale restaurants + boutiques
- Known for—Art galleries, beautiful cliffs + gardens surrounding the Main Beach.
- Location— Victoria Beach, Newport Beach
- Amenities— Scenic views, hidden lighthouse tower
- Food + Shops—None near this spot (surrounded by beach houses)
- Known For— Quiet + relaxing space with a tide pool, hidden lighthouse tower.
- Location—San Diego
- Amenities—Belmont Park on the pier, volleyball courts, beach houses for rent
- Food + Shops—So many! Ranging from Mom + Pop businesses to worldwide chain establishments.
- Known For— Large ocean front for biking + walking, various hotels, Belmont Park and carnival games + rides.
Happy Beachin’! Tell us your favorite beach spot on the west coast in the comments below!